10 Reasons You
Need To Balance Your Mind & Body
1. Eliciting the relaxation response to reduce your blood pressure and heart
2. Preventing certain stress-induced diseases from developing.
3. Working alongside conventional medicine as "complementary" to
4. Reducing pain from chronic disease.
5. Improving the quality of life for people with diseases e.g. cancer.
6. Improving your relationships with friends and family.
7. Helping to reverse an underlying disease process.
8. High cost/benefit since the cost is minimal and the potential benefit is very
9. Helping you ride the inevitable waves of change with greater ease and better
10. Showing you how to become an active partner in your own medical care.
Mind-Body research is changing the
way we view the role of the mind in health and illness. But this is not new!
Western medicine has used relaxation techniques, hypnosis and other Mind-Body techniques
for decades, and of course, holistic, alternative, and traditional healers have used them
for thousands of years! What is different today is that the approach is gaining
credibility through scientific studies from major medical institutions. The evidence
is mounting that Mind-Body techniques can improve your quality of life as well as have a
positive effect on the course of disease.
Mind-Body medicine is any method in which we use our mind to promote health and recover
from illness. That means all of your THOUGHTS (of which we are reported to have
60,000 a day!) and all your EMOTIONS (hostility, anger, resentment, love,
fear, and hate) significantly affect your physical health. Therefore, healing your
mind will have a positive effect on your body.
Many scientific efforts are now revealing the physiological mechanisms that connect
the brain and nervous system with the hormonal and immune systems. I believe the
daily practices of Mind-Body lessons outlined in this module - ranging from relaxation to
emotional expression to self-nurturance - are no different than sound nutrition and
regular exercise. They are genuine forms of health maintenance, with the potential to
treat illnesses as well as to prevent them from developing in the first place.
Balance Mind & Body gives you the opportunity to take control of your health and
your life! Everything you do to become a more active participant in your own
health care adds up to a stronger sense of control over your medical destiny. This control
and confidence can be key to real changes in your physical health. The skills you learn
should be used alongside conventional medicine, rather than be seen as an
"alternative" to conventional medicine. The Mind-Body principles are
designed to move you toward a new wholeness and harmony through a practical focus
on a broader view of health and healing.
As our society becomes more complex and places more demands on us, we search to
create a balance and simplify our lives.